Alfred Fleishman Diversity Fellowship, Atlanta
Click here to complete the program application form.
Who We Are:
FleishmanHillard, a global leader in communications and marketing, is one of the industry’s most recognized integrated communications agencies, bringing together deep strategic thinking and a seamless network to deliver real-world results. We want big thinking, passionate creativity and unbridled energy. In exchange, we offer outstanding opportunities for professional growth and personal success.
The Alfred Fleishman Diversity Fellowships:
Alfred Fleishman, one of our agency’s founders, was dedicated to promoting human rights and helping people from diverse backgrounds communicate with and understand one another. In his honor, FleishmanHillard offers the Alfred Fleishman Diversity Fellowship program.
The program targets ethnically diverse candidates and applicants who have a passion for ethnic or cultural diversity. All applicants must demonstrate a commitment to promoting ethnic and cultural diversity through their work, education and life experiences. The paid fellowships are six- to 12-months in length and offer benefits, professional development opportunities and a mentor program. Fellows will contribute to client projects while rotating among account teams, gaining practical experience in the field of integrated communications from some of the industry’s best counselors. Candidates must be pursuing or already hold an undergraduate or graduate degree. Strong interest in communication, public relations, marketing, advertising or creative services, and exceptional writing skills are required.
What You Will Do:
During the fellowship, individuals will be expected, among other responsibilities, to:
- Write, edit and proofread materials in AP style, including press releases, pitch letters, fact sheets, blog posts, website content and client correspondence.
- Help pitch story ideas to relevant media and participate in brainstorm sessions.
- Contribute to the new business process, including research and proposal preparation.
- Monitor, research, compile and analyze client media coverage in both online and offline channels.
We are looking for college seniors, recent college graduates or graduate students from U.S. colleges and universities with a passion for ethnic and cultural diversity and career interest in communications. Qualified candidates will demonstrate proven writing skills, initiative, creative problem-solving skills, proficiency in social media communications and a track record of academic achievement. Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.2 and will have successfully completed three or more previous internships, at least one of which with a focus on communications, marketing, advertising, or creative services. The fellowship program is designed for professionals in the early stages of their career. We also welcome applicants with a passion for ethnic and cultural diversity and interest in PR who are new to the profession. At the time of application, candidates may be no more than one year removed from receipt of their undergraduate or graduate degree. Candidates must be able to work a minimum of 30 hours per week.
Criteria to Apply:
Your Application Submission Must Include:
- Completed application form
- Resume and cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation from current or previous employers or educators
- Two writing samples — news releases, school papers or other relevant writing samples; please limit to two pages each
Interviewing and Judging Criteria:
After applications have been reviewed, selected applicants will be invited to interview. Applicants will be judged using the following criteria:
- Interest in and general knowledge of public relations and communications
- Passion for and commitment to promoting diversity
- Academic achievements
- Demonstrated leadership
- Practical experience (e.g., internships, other work/service)
- Writing skills, as demonstrated throughout the application process, including a writing test
- Letters of recommendation
We are accepting applications for 2014 fellowships from December 1, 2013, through March 1, 2014. The 2014 fellowship program will begin in mid-May / early June 2014.
All questions regarding the fellowship should be sent to DiversityFellowship@fleishman.com. Please do not contact the offices directly.