Scientific Writer, Managing Supervisor, Kansas City
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
Scientific Writer, Managing Supervisor — Healthcare (Kansas City)
The Kansas City office of FleishmanHillard is seeking an enthusiastic, energetic and self-starting Managing Supervisor to join our dynamic office. This position provides the opportunity to work on exciting communications programs for leading healthcare brands, and develop key relationships with healthcare industry clients. Specifically, the position offers hands-on experience with drug approvals, the FDA regulatory process, post-launch marketing, and clinical trial recruitment programs involving work with media, third-party organizations and healthcare professionals.
FleishmanHillard believes a diverse team brings a wider range of personal and professional experiences and perspectives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion benefit our agency, our clients, and the communities in which we work and live. To that end, we strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
- Analyze and simplify complex clinical data into lay terms (e.g., abstracts, posters, oral presentations, primary manuscripts on pre-clinical and Phase I-III data).
- Write and edit a variety of communications materials (e.g., messages, press releases, Q&As, data summaries) in support of publications, medical meetings, potential issues and other data milestones; incorporating client, regulatory and medical affairs feedback.
- Check and edit documents provided by other writers and/or clients to ensure accuracy. Includes media outreach materials and digital and social media communications.
- Attend medical meetings and providing onsite client counsel.
- Provide recommendations to client on scientific positioning and narrative as it relates to clients’ science and product development.
- Develop relationships and coordinate correspondence with external audiences: third-party organizations, healthcare professionals, media, etc.
- Build and maintain strong client relationships.
- Track and analyze disease state statistics and treatment guidelines, as well as competitor data, and make messaging recommendations.
- Minimum of 5+ experience in biotech, pharmaceutical or healthcare communications.
- Ability to translate large amounts of clinical data and information into lay language. Knowledge of cellular biology, biochemistry/genetics, oncology and immunology is helpful.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to develop and strategically direct the creation of communications materials.
- Skilled at applied strategic thinking; anticipating issues, trends, and connections, and translating those insights into actionable ideas for the client.
- A thirst for knowledge, interest and desire to work in the ever-changing world of healthcare. Knowledge of global of regulatory authorizes and of the U.S. drug approval process.
- Experience as a collaborative team member.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate recommendations to clients.
- Energetic, self-starter and resourceful problem solver – gets things moving and keeps them on track, as well as strong organization skills.
- High attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple ongoing activities.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, ever-changing environment; meet deadlines and handle the changing needs of a client.
- Deliver materials on often tight deadlines with an emphasis on quality and consistent with both general writing standards, such as client-specific styles.
FleishmanHillard specializes in public relations, reputation management, public affairs, brand marketing, digital strategy, social engagement and content strategy. FleishmanHillard was named PRWeek’s 2014 Global Agency of the Year, “Standout Agency” on Advertising Age’s 2013 A-List; NAFE’s “Top 50 Companies for Executive Women” for 2010-2016; and among PRWeek’s 2013 “Best Places to Work.” The firm’s award-winning work is widely heralded, including at the Cannes International Festival of Creativity. FleishmanHillard is part of the Omnicom Public Relations Group, a division of DAS, and has more than 85 offices in 30 countries, plus affiliates in 43 countries.
About Omnicom Public Relations Group
Omnicom Public Relations Group is a global collective of three of the top global public relations agencies worldwide and eight specialist agencies in public affairs, marketing to women, fashion, global health strategy and corporate social responsibility. It encompasses more than 6,000 public relations professionals in more than 330 offices worldwide who provide their expertise to companies, government agencies, NGOs and nonprofits across a wide range of industries. Omnicom Public Relations Group delivers for clients through a relentless focus on talent, continuous pursuit of innovation and a culture steeped in collaboration. Omnicom Public Relations Group is part of the DAS Group of Companies, a division of Omnicom Group Inc. that includes more than 200 companies in a wide range of marketing disciplines including advertising, public relations, healthcare, customer relationship management, events, promotional marketing, branding and research.
FleishmanHillard is committed to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. FleishmanHillard does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local employment discrimination laws where FleishmanHillard does business. Our policy is to employ, advance, and reasonably accommodate all qualified employees and applicants.
If you need assistance reviewing career opportunities or completing an application, please call 314-982-6283 or email our careers team.
Please do not contact the office directly to apply – only resumes submitted through this website will be considered.