VP - Paid Media, Los Angeles
Position Overview & Responsibilities
For nearly two decades, while we debated over the roles and responsibilities by channel, we all agreed that “content was king.” In that time all media channels, including publishers, search engines and social platforms learned that what audiences want most is not just any content – they want editorial-caliber content that informs and inspires people to think or feel different...not just buy stuff. The challenge today is understanding when an earned voice or an owned voice is most effective in delivering that content, and in making sure it has the best chance to be seen through paid. Today’s communications landscape is complicated, but it’s never been as exciting. And there’s certainly never been a better time to be in PR!
We’re looking for a Vice President - Paid Media who is an expert in digital advertising and paid social media, with a solid understanding of this challenge and the potential that earned and owned media have to work together in today’s media landscape.
In this role, you will be responsible for defining a unique point of view and go to market strategy for growing the paid media practice at FleishmanHillard. You will oversee all aspects of the practice and capability including planning, buying, managing and optimizing paid media across the digital ecosystem (social, display, programmatic and search). You will be the key POC for paid media across internal and external stakeholders and will be responsible for key strategic partnerships and growth development. You will also lead and manage relationships across multiple accounts and clients, and in doing so, coach, mentor and manage a geographically-diverse team.
You must be both strategic and hands on, serving as a partner to teams across the agency.
You are a nimble, dynamic and poised leader who can understand the various communications challenges that our clients face and bring creative and smart solutions forward.
You will work across regional/global new business pitches – growing the practice from both a current and new client perspective.
You will be an inspiring and dynamic leader who can mentor and develop a strong team while bearing accountability for all deliverables and work produced by the team.
You will foster collaboration and shepherd participation in the agency’s Paid Media Practice among paid media specialists across the FleishmanHillard global network, standardizing processes, ways of working and strategic application of paid media against our clients’ business objectives
You will also assist with building and maintaining processes and efficiencies for agency-wide collaboration (with Social & Innovation, Analytics (True Global Intelligence), Account Teams, and Creative).
You will foster and lead relationship building with key external partners including media vendors, publishers, data providers and Omnicom sister agencies
You will be an expert in Paid Media operations including all back-office financial and legal standard operating procedures, and be a champion for compliance across the FleishmanHillard network of offices
The ideal candidate has a track record of working across all aspects of paid with an understanding of earned and owned. You have overseen all aspects of digital advertising and paid social planning and activations, are current with industry best practices and understand the importance of audience-first planning. Key to this role is an analytical acumen to ensure that success is measured in the right way and provided to our clients in a succinct and actionable manner. The role requires strong project management skills as well as tenacity and passion for delivering outstanding media ideas and work.
- Work experience: 10+ years of experience in digital media planning (preferably paid social, paid search and native advertising/sponsored content) and buying, including 5+ years team or department management experience required
- Large agency experience preferred
- Experience working on clients who are comms plan-driven; ability to translate comms strategy into media approaches
- Strong understanding of digital landscape and how/where bridges are built between paid social, search and other channels
- Demonstrated experience planning and managing strategic paid campaigns across digital advertising channels, social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.) and content marketing platforms (e.g. Sharethrough, Outbrain, StackAdapt, etc.) that are aligned to achieving business, marketing and communications objectives
- Experience providing best practices, latest trends and recommendations across the digital media ecosystem including content and creative units, building target audiences, structuring and managing campaigns, optimizing campaign performance and communicating campaign performance and ROAS (Return on Ad Spend)
- Experience building and managing relationships with ad sales reps and managers across the digital and social media ecosystem
- Strong analytical skills; must be proficient in analyzing and interpreting web and social-related data from standard software packages and client databases
- Background providing evaluative volumetric and content analysis of social data working with social media monitoring and analytics tools such as: Crimson Hexagon, Brandwatch, Sprinklr, Net Base and the like
- Experience with web analytics packages such as Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics and WebTrends
- Experience with implementing tracking and conversion pixels from all major digital social ad platforms
- Experience with selecting and managing third party data providers such as Acxiom, Oracle Data Cloud and Epsilon
- Skilled user of tools such as Excel, Tableau, Power Pivot, Quantivo, Google Sheets
- Understand client’s business requirements, and design reporting and analysis approaches tailored to measuring primary objectives and key business outcomes
- Ability to quickly pattern spot and surface actionable insights; separate signal from noise
- Experience distilling complex and high volumes of data into simple KPIs and data visualizations / dashboards / scorecards
- Experience writing clear and concise presentations for client summarizing data insights, outcomes and implications in a straightforward and enlightening way for clients
- Ability to contribute to increasing level of innovation in data, analytics and paid media programs
- Ability to lead and nurture a team across multiple geographies and time zones
Additionally, candidates must possess:
- High Ethical Standards: Community facilitators are stewards of a company’s social media policy and service as a “voice” of the brand. Qualified candidates will demonstrate the personal integrity and professionalism worthy of such responsibility.
- Refined Communication Skills: Ideal candidates are customer-service minded and should be calm, clear and consistent communicators adept at navigating large organizations in a positive, diplomatic way. Comfortable in the role of teacher, trainer and mentor, the successful candidate should possess enough hands-on experience implementing digital communications to translate terminology into a language that all can understand.
- Propensity for Time Management/Multi-tasking: The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is solutions-oriented, thrives under pressure, enjoys fast-paced work and is dedicated to quality. He/she is extremely motivated and in search of a challenging, career-advancing opportunity.
- Ability Work Collaboratively in a Team Setting: Must be a consummate team player who brings a passionate, positive, high-energy approach to client service and delivering results. Ideal candidate should possess excellent relationship skills; be a good listener; respect the expertise of others; and have ability to motivate and generate effective action from all levels of the organization.
FleishmanHillard is an entrepreneurial, collaborative environment that values talented, creative people who like to work with others to create cutting-edge programs for our clients. More than 90 percent of FH clients work with teams from more than one geographic location, and across multiple practice offerings. We believe a diverse team brings a wider range of personal and professional experiences and perspectives, and we recognize that diversity and inclusion benefit our agency, our clients, and the communities in which we work and live. To that end, we strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
FleishmanHillard specializes in public relations, reputation management, public affairs, brand marketing, digital strategy, social engagement and content strategy. We have been named PRWeek’s Global Agency of the Year and Best Places to Work; a “Standout Agency” on Advertising Age’s A-List; NAFE’s “Top 50 Companies for Executive Women” for eight years running; and among our firm’s award-winning work we’ve taken home 5 Lions in the past two years at the Cannes International Festival of Creativity. We’re also more motivated by what we can give than what we receive, and in our 70th year we’ve initiated a worldwide service commitment to support social inclusion in the communities in which we work and live. FleishmanHillard is part of Omnicom Public Relations Group, a division of Omnicom Group Inc., and has more than 85 offices in 30 countries, plus affiliates in 43 countries. Visit us at www.fleishmanhillard.com.
FleishmanHillard is committed to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. FleishmanHillard does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local employment discrimination laws where FleishmanHillard does business.
FleishmanHillard will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
About Omnicom Public Relations Group:
Omnicom Public Relations Group is a global collective of three of the top global public relations agencies worldwide and eight specialist agencies in public affairs, marketing to women, fashion, global health strategy and corporate social responsibility. It encompasses more than 6,000 public relations professionals in more than 330 offices worldwide who provide their expertise to companies, government agencies, NGOs and nonprofits across a wide range of industries. Omnicom Public Relations Group delivers for clients through a relentless focus on talent, continuous pursuit of innovation and a culture steeped in collaboration. Omnicom Public Relations Group is part of the DAS Group of Companies, a division of Omnicom Group Inc. that includes more than 200 companies in a wide range of marketing disciplines including advertising, public relations, healthcare, customer relationship management, events, promotional marketing, branding and research.